1) We'd buy a small farm. My husband is unbelievably, amazingly supportive, and one of the major reasons I'd like to have financial success with my writing is to help him make his own dreams reality. (I'm aware of how vomit-inducing that sentence may be.) But I'm serious. If he could do anything, he'd have a small organic farm with a side hydroponics outfit. (Dear husband's co-workers: Do not freak. This is not happening any time soon.)
Though it's not in the cards for a long, long time, we've actually looked at local properties, crunched the numbers, researched grants, etc. At one point I fell in love with this place, but it was already sold. You can see, though, that we're not talking huge. The house had one more bedroom than our current place... and about 19 more acres.
2) College fund for my boys.
3) Replace our Jeep, which I've been driving since high school.
4) Help out various family members.
5) Donations to the non-profits we currently work for.
7) If I were ridiculously loaded, I'd have a huge library attached to my house.
8) If I were insanely loaded, I'd endow a language building at my alma mater. They may have more offerings now, but when I graduated in '02, it was just German, French, Spanish (woot! represent!), Latin and Greek. Alternately, I'd help fund the awesome Odyssey Program they've started since I was there. (If you're looking at colleges, you should definitely check out that last link.)
So what about you? Come join us at YA Highway and tell us what you'd do with untold riches! :)
Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic. We'd love for you to participate!