So why the perceived slight? Because paranormal gets half the big bucks, and dystopian takes another quarter. But contemporary is hanging in there. I was surprised to find science fiction and "other" holding their own as well.
A few random thoughts:
- This may look depressing if you write contemporary, but honestly? I had never heard of a contemporary getting six-figures, and these weren't celebrity-turned-writer deals. So I was actually pleased to see that 9%.
- Several deals noted authors moving from one genre to another - and not all from realistic to paranormal.
- Charts from five years ago, or five years from now, would likely show very different statistics. Don't write to trends. Write work interesting enough to start a new trend.
- I write both, I love both, but my love of paranormal does not extend to trolls. No paranormal-bashing in my comments. Please and thank you.
Margin of Error Disclaimers:
- I'm terrible at math.
- Paranormal includes fantasy and anything the least bit supernatural-sounding.
- Dystopian includes apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic, unless the blurb specifically mentioned those as sci-fi.
- "Other" includes historical fiction and deals that didn't include blurbs.
- I counted deals, not individual books within deals.
- Only 30% of the deals I counted indicated size, so the second chart only represents 1/3 of the deals in chart one.
- A small number of six-figure deals are not represented in the second graph because when they weren't listed with the standard categories ("nice" through "significant").
- These figures were taken from Publisher's Marketplace deal reporting. I didn't download any statistics from their website- I counted the deals manually and assigned my own categories when necessary. I'm no genre expert and may have mis-categorized a few things.
- Some agents and editors choose not to list deals in Publisher's Marketplace, which means neither chart is a full representation of YA publishing.
- Did I mention I'm terrible at math?
- EDITED TO ADD: As pointed out by Tracy Buchanan, few UK deals are reported in PM, which made me realize I also forgot to mention that I haven't included the selling of foreign rights in these numbers.
Two For Tuesday is a weekly meme I made up when I couldn't think of anything to blog about. Post two of anything: book reviews, pictures, quotes, poems, songs, videos, rants, shout outs, whatever floats your boat. Just connect them somehow. That's it. Leave me a comment if you want to share!